For my Honors thesis, I created a photobook that explores my family’s escape from anti-semitic persecution during the Holocaust. I had my hands on this project from start to finish: from leafing through my family’s archives at the beginning of the project to hand-binding the book at the end of the project. The creation of this book was something that had been on my mind beforehand, but the Honors thesis project gave my the time and opportunity to make it a reality. Additionally, throughout the process, I got to know myself and grow as a photographer and photo editor.

I was honestly surprised at how fulfilling creating this project from scratch felt. To have this idea and then use my own hands to make it a reality was an amazing experience and an awesome feeling, and it made me all the more proud of the important and meaningful work I created.

After my thesis is complete, I plan to continue working on this project. Specifically, I am beginning to search for a publisher so I can publish my photobook and print it en masse, since thus far I have printed everything by hand. Additionally, I hope to donate copies to Holocaust museums around the world, specifically the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Yad Vashem.

Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives