Yifan with the GAC team in Kigali, Rwanda.

The Honors Internship Grant supported my work with the General Architecture Collaborative, a non-profit architecture office based in Kigali, Rwanda. I was in Rwanda for a month, investigating the sites and helping with an urban informal settlement upgrade project. I was able to talk with local architects and residents and experience local culture in addition to working in the office.

Professor Yutaka Sho played a vital role throughout this opportunity. She co-founded the office, General Architecture Collaborative, and generously offered me a chance to work with her. She and the other principal, James Setzler, guided me on my travels to Africa.

I was surprised by how welcoming and supportive the people were. I established friendships with my colleagues at the office and the local residents on the site. I also gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about the architecture industry in Kigali, Rwanda.

I will continue to work with GAC online, as I am studying in London this semester. I will also continue my research about informal settlements in Rwanda throughout the academic year. In the future, I might do an undergraduate thesis relating to Rwandan architecture.

Kennedy Snyder

July 26, 2024

Emerson Long

July 26, 2024

Sarah Codak

July 22, 2024

Aryn Chartock

July 22, 2024

Rachel Lin

July 19, 2024

Tanner Boshart

July 19, 2024

Alex Shaffer

July 15, 2024

Donovan Hernandaz

July 15, 2024

Phil Lockitt

July 12, 2024

Nash Pena

July 12, 2024
Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives