Maya Angela Simms

I studied abroad in Florence, Italy, for three and a half months, and it was the best educational experience I’ve had at Syracuse! I was able to take classes that are only offered abroad, like an architecture sketching course where we traveled around Italy as a class and an Italian language class where we could go out and practice what we learned in the community. I was also able to travel across Italy in my free time thanks to the extensive public transportation system there. In addition to exploring Florence, I was able to visit Pisa, Milan, Venice, Siena, Rome, and much more! I never would have been able to see or do everything on my own, so I am super grateful for this opportunity!

I was not expecting to be able to visit so many places. I didn’t think I would have enough time to travel all over Italy while attending my classes, but I could take a day trip to another city every weekend if I so chose. I could even work on my homework during the train rides. The trains were also pretty affordable, considering I was traveling to a whole new city.

I learned about new modes of representation in one of my architecture electives abroad, like photogrammetry and how to digitally create materials in renders. I want to expand upon what I’ve learned when I design for my future architecture classes. I have also been considering going to graduate school to further my architecture degree, and now I feel more comfortable looking at colleges outside of the US now that I have experienced living abroad.

Kennedy Snyder

July 26, 2024

Emerson Long

July 26, 2024

Sarah Codak

July 22, 2024

Aryn Chartock

July 22, 2024

Rachel Lin

July 19, 2024

Tanner Boshart

July 19, 2024

Alex Shaffer

July 15, 2024

Donovan Hernandaz

July 15, 2024

Phil Lockitt

July 12, 2024

Nash Pena

July 12, 2024
Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives