Tanner Boshart

I studied abroad in Strasbourg, France, in the fall of 2023, and it was an incredible experience that helped me grow both academically and personally. I got to travel beyond France and see the rest of Europe, make friends, and explore my academic interests. I was also able to intern at the Council of Europe, which gave me insight into international bureaucracies and policies. Overall, it was a transformative experience that was responsible for exposing me to so much new culture and people. I did not expect to make as many French friends as I did. I got the chance to hang out with local French students studying at universities in Strasbourg, which was an incredible experience. Syracuse students would often mingle with French students through clubs, bars, sports, and mixers. I even attended the INSA (School of Engineering) student formal, which was a very cool way to meet French people my age.

My time in Strasbourg, specifically at the Council of Europe, was largely responsible for how I view my career trajectory. Studying economics and history in France confirmed my desire to continue studying political economy. Working at the Council of Europe served as a launchpad for much of my career- the internship experience is highly coveted in the United States. I made connections that helped me plan my future goals and career. Studying abroad, especially in France, was one of the core reasons I chose to study at Syracuse. This experience showed me so much of Europe, and I am grateful for the opportunity to spend 3 months there. My host family was incredible, as were the friends I made there. I got to travel both outside of my comfort zone and the borders of France, and I will treasure the memories I made for the rest of my life.

Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives