Abdalla Shamil

Through the Honors Abroad Grant, I was able to participate in the Discovery Madrid program. This was very valuable both academically and in the networking context. I was able to get an internship in my field of study, biochemistry. I also met professors, people, and friends that have helped me get opportunities to become a global ambassador as well as be involved in diversity and equity work. It was a good experience, especially in my first semester of college. I was able to improve my language skills as well and become much more open-minded to different cultures and traditions.

I was surprised that my host family did not speak any English, but I was glad that that was the case in the end. I was able to be really immersed in the culture and the language and learn about Spain and its people. I was able to create a strong connection with them, and they taught me a lot about myself. I didn’t know about the internships and traveling opportunities that were offered by the Discovery Madrid program, and it was definitely something that helped me be involved and network while I was abroad.

I was recently accepted as a Global Ambassador, for which I was nominated by the Madrid Center. I will also be continuing my work with the Diversity and Equity Steering Committee on campus. I also hope to do another internship over the summer that will help me grow in my field.

More Honors News

Phil Lockitt

July 12, 2024

Nash Pena

July 12, 2024

Grace Ripperger

July 8, 2024

Alexis Wilner

July 8, 2024

Megan Cooper

July 5, 2024

Tynan Weathers

July 5, 2024

Veronica Poole

July 1, 2024

MJ Gray

July 1, 2024

Sophie Creager-Roberts

June 28, 2024

Brendan Murty

June 24, 2024
Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives