“We’re there for people on their worst day. Riding in an ambulance as a patient is never a fun experience so we’re there to alleviate the trouble and provide pre-hospital care,” says junior Angela Binion. Syracuse University Ambulance (SUA) share a deep bond as expressed in third year student Kelly Heuer’s statement that “I take a lot of pride in being selected to be a part of this organization, as well as being able to continue to learn and grow within the organization.”

Serving the SU community since 1973, this student operated organization responds to over 1,500 medical emergencies a year. SUA volunteers act as attendants, drivers, and crew chiefs delivering emergency services to the 20,000 students, faculty and staff at Syracuse University. And their work doesn’t end when they wheel the gurney through the hospital doors. Diane Radov, also a junior, stresses that “the most important part of the ambulance is not only providing care, but the assessment that we do as a crew and individuals after we provide care. This allows us to update and better our skills so that we reflect the best way possible on the community.”

The rewards of being a part of the SUA team are far-reaching. Whether it’s a feeling of a stronger commitment to civic engagement or to their future professions, SUA becomes central to its members. Working with SUA has given senior Dan Cowen the awareness “that for our country and world to be more successful, it will rely on citizens who are dedicated to doing their jobs well and using their skills to help others.”

For senior Mark Schoenborn, SUA “allowed me to volunteer my time to help those whom I would otherwise never be able to help. The result has been both rewarding and empowering as it solidified my choice to go to medical school. One-on-one real patient interaction was not something I expected to get as an undergraduate student with no experience and I believe I have grown both as a student of the medical field and as a person as a result.”

When you hear sirens, know that your fellow students are on their way to provide the critical assistance each emergency demands.

Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives