Abi Handel

I had the opportunity to shadow at Europe’s top-ranked children’s hospital, Istituto Giannina Gaslini, in Genova, Italy. This program placed me in an apartment with 3 other pre-medical students from around the US. There were 8 total US students doing the program, and we got to know each other very well over the three weeks as we participated in over 60 hours of shadowing. I was surprised by how much the hospital’s departments were willing to show us and teach us. I shadowed in three departments over the course of three weeks, including Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, and Neurosurgery. Through my shadowing, I got to observe many rare cases and surgeries. I hope to continue to shadow and learn about the many fields in the medical field. There is so much to learn, and I now have an understanding of the opportunities that await me as long as I put myself out there and reach out. When I got back from the internship, I started working at Putnoi Eye Care as an Ophthalmic Assistant. I shared my experience with the lead ophthalmologist about my ophthalmology experience in Italy which prompted him to invite me into the operating room that Wednesday to see cataract surgery.

More Honors News

Lili Williams

September 17, 2024

Go to England over Spring Break for Credit!

September 13, 2024

Honors Program Climbing Wall Event

September 13, 2024

Kevin Nguyen

September 10, 2024

Honors Core Faculty Research Session

September 10, 2024

Holden Observatory Tour

September 10, 2024

Library Resources Info Session

September 9, 2024

Abigail Greenfield

September 5, 2024

Joshua Spode

September 5, 2024
Search our site

Search Our Site

Archives