Giving Back with His Art

event posterThe Dosyo:we:h Singers of Buffalo, New York is a community-based organization that offers family activities to promote and encourage interest in Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) culture and history for its members and the general public. The organization’s president, Kenneth William John, Jr., contacted Terry Jones (’16 VPA) to conduct a public screening of his film works. The evening included the preparation of a traditional Iroquois corn soup for 50 people. The event space did not have any form of screening facilitates, so Terry needed to transport and set up his own personal screening equipment. The event included the screening of Terry’s short films and concluded with the serving of the prepared soup.

For Terry, “Civic engagement is the ability to give back to my own community. While growing up on the Seneca reservation, there were many community members who shared their cultural knowledge with others and me. These selfless individuals were the role models for our people. I always wondered how and when I would be able to do the same. Since I started my studies at Syracuse University in 2012, I have produced a sizable amount of short film works. Thanks to events like this, I am able to share my works with the very community that nurtured me when I was younger. Many of the themes and characters in my films are Indigenous people and audience from the community and the public are able to identify and understand the Native experience. I look forward to conducting future community screenings of my film works. I look at these events as a way to promote and spark community dialogue. At the end of each event, I serve an Iroquois delicacy known as Iroquois corn soup. As audience members savor their soup, we discuss the topics and themes from the films. As a result of these screenings and interacting with the members of my community, I am giving back in my own way…much like those who shared cultural knowledge when I was younger.”