Youth Service Opportunities Project (YSOP)

During Spring Break 2015 Ainsley Smith (’18 AS) and Jourdann Borski (’17 VPA) traveled to Washington DC to volunteer with Youth Service Opportunities Project (YSOP)

Monday through Thursday students were placed in groups that went to different service sites around the D.C. area. All of the groups went to sites that focused on feeding the less fortunate. Then the group as a whole went for a service walk, handing out toiletries for the people who wanted them and served an in-house dinner at YSOP for any individual who wanted food. Throughout the week, participants held reflection discussions at YSOP to discuss their thoughts and feelings from the day.

Ainsley said that “the chance to go to Washington, D.C. over Spring Break was one of the best weeks of my life. Not only did I get the chance to experience the natural beauty of D.C., but this opportunity opened my eyes to a national problem that has affected millions.”

YSOP group photoJourdann was a mentor on the trip and helped guide the group through their various activities. The experience was great for Jourdann as well because the week “helped me to see multiple perspectives on homelessness. I was able to understand how a city can have the richest and poorest people in the U.S. and what we need to do to eliminate the gap. This experience has inspired me to volunteer at home and make it my mission to remember that every person matters and can use my help.”

What will you do for Spring Break 2016? Consider service!