There When You Need Them

Anthony Schramm (’16 AS) joins a long list of Honors students who have served with the Syracuse University Ambulance team. Anthony has filled many roles, acting as a Crew Chief, Driver, Dual Field Training Officer, First Responder, and Dispatcher.

SUA is Anthony’s home away from home, and he thinks he may spend more time there then at his house! Anthony likes serving his peers and community in emergency medical situations because it allows him to be there for people in their most vulnerable and desperate time of need. Whether to stop bleeding, provide CPR, or help when somebody is feeling depressed and suicidal, SUA gives members the opportunity to make a difference on every call.

Anthony says, “When I started, I focused mainly on the patient. As my idea of civic engagement evolved, I became more aware of the opportunity in giving back to the organization itself. Since my admittance freshman year, I have been appointed Vice President, Personnel Supervisor, and Field Supervisor. These administrative roles allow me to teach and pass on my legacy as an EMT to newer members, and develop the organization into the best we have ever been as we continue to grow and improve.”

SUA squadWhen you hear sirens, think of Anthony and all the other students who make up SUA who serve, protect and bring health and safety to campus.