Talk to the Animals

Nicole with monkeys

Nicole Howell lived and worked in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica this past summer where she facilitated in the rehabilitation of a variety of species of animals native to Costa Rica’s rainforests, including two-toed sloths, howler monkeys, white faced capuchin monkeys, spider monkeys, pygmy possums, oropendola, tucans, parrots, anteaters, and a variety of raptors and snakes. Oh my!

Each morning Nicole worked with a team to clean the facility and equipment. What sounds more enjoyable, at least to me, she also worked in the nursery and assisted the veterinarian with various procedures. Who wouldn’t want to hand-feed a baby oropendola or anteater? Then it was play time when Nicole prepared enrichment activities for possums.

Nicole said, “I found my time at the Jaguar Rescue Center to be invaluable. Not only was I able to give back by helping to rehabilitate native, and in some cases, endangered species of animals living in Costa Rica’s rainforests, but I was also able to further my career goals as a pre-veterinary medicine student. I hope to return here, or find similar civic engagement opportunities in the future.”sloth in a basket

monkeyentry way to sloth sanctuary

Nicole holding sloth