Development Grants

Honors Development Grants provide one-time funding of up to $ 750.00 to Honors students in good standing, to defray the costs of participating in academic conferences, professional development activities and study abroad programs. Awards are intended to partially reimburse transportation, lodging, registration and meal expenses.


For research, creative works, conference travel, and professional development activities, applications are accepted on a rolling basis but must be submitted at least one month prior to the travel date.

Study abroad applications must be submitted by the following dates:

1. March 1 for applicants who will be studying abroad in the summer or fall semester
2. October 1 for applicants who will be studying abroad in the spring semester


• Applicants must be matriculated Syracuse University students, in good standing in the Honors Program and must be registered full-time during the semester that the award is granted.
• Applicants who are presenting their research or creative work at the conference will be given priority consideration, but students who wish to attend a conference at which they will not be presenting can also apply.
• Study abroad applicants must show proof that they have already applied to a credit-bearing study abroad program.

How to apply

1. Complete your application online through the application form below. At the end of the application you will be asked to upload documentation (e.g., an acceptance letter/email and/or documentation from the appropriate section of the conference program) that your paper/poster/creative project has been accepted for presentation.
2. If you are using these funds to offset Study Abroad costs, you must meet with your financial aid advisor to discuss how the grant may impact your financial aid package.

3. Within one month of return from research travel, conference, creative endeavor or study abroad you will submit a brief report to the Honors Program, including any plans for publication, performance, further research and/or other related activity. Development grant reports can be submitted via the form on the second tab below after you have completed your program.

Application Form

Fill this form out as soon as you find out you will be participating in your development activity.  Once approved, you will work out the details of your costs with the Honors office.

Development Grant Report