Grant Award Report
About Study Abroad Grants
Study Abroad Grants provide one-time funding of $1,500 to Honors students in good standing with the Honors Program to defray the costs of participating in study abroad programs. Award funds lessen travel expenses associated with travelling to and from the study abroad destination. Applicants must meet with their financial aid advisor to discuss any implications the award may have on their financial aid package. Within one month of return from studying abroad, award recipients are required to submit a brief report to the Honors Program that summarizes their study abroad experience. Study Abroad Grant report forms can be accessed on the second tab on the application form.
The complete application, along with the supporting documentation is due on the following dates:
- April 15th spring semester (prior to summer abroad semester)
- May 15th spring semester (prior to fall study abroad semester)
- October 1st fall semester (prior to spring study abroad semester)
*Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis, and funding may be delayed.
- Applicants must be matriculated Syracuse University students, in good standing in the Honors Program and must be registered full-time during the semester that the award is granted. Read more about what 'good standing in Honors' entails here. Your application will be reviewed in consideration of your academic, civic and extracurricular engagement with the Honors Program.
- Applicants must be accepted to a credit-bearing study abroad program.
- Prior recipients of the Honors Study Abroad Grant are not eligible to apply.
How To Apply
- Submit an application for the semester you plan to go abroad. Specify the campus and provide SU Abroad acceptance (letter, email, screen shot of application status).
- Grant awards impact financial aid packages. If you are in good standing, Honors will confirm with the Financial Aid Office that the funding will not negatively impact your financial aid for the semester during which you are abroad.
- Honors will also review your status with the SU Abroad Office.
- Finally, Honors will disburse the award of $1,500 directly to your bursar account. This process involves different channels to process and takes approximately 3-4 weeks from the time Honors releases the funding request.
- When you return to campus, complete your grant report. We require this step to share your narrative with donors who generously provide support, and to learn about how these opportunities benefit students. To learn about other student's experiences, read the reports in the sidebar to the right.
*Please note, you may be able to apply your study abroad experience toward fulfilling your Honors course credits. To learn more, review the Honors Good Standing Policy.
Ready to Submit your Grant Report?
Submit your grant report at the link to the right. The questionnaire will ask you open ended questions about your experience and your grant. Honors will be publishing your report as a post to this website, and also sharing with our donors who provide these grants. You can browse the posts here on the right as examples of how you will want to answer the questions in the report questionnaire.