The English Conversation Program consists of small groups of international students engaging in English conversations facilitated by native English speakers utilizing the ZOOM platform this fall. This is an hour per week for international students to improve their English language skills, which has shown to lead to increased academic success, while providing the group facilitator a chance to engage with the university’s international population. This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty, staff, and spouses. 

From one of our previous facilitators: “This opportunity has shown me how large and diverse the community of Syracuse University is. In the beginning this was no more than a way to check-off my civic engagement requirements while exploring an interest I have for teaching, however I quickly found how reciprocal this experience is for the participants as well as the leaders. School is hard. Seeing students elbow deep in work while still struggling with the language itself made me realize how easy I have it; I vowed to myself to do everything I can in my sessions to assist my fellow student.”

If you are uncertain with hosting virtually, we have created a tutorial for students/staff who are not familiar with using ZOOM to increase confidence in hosting groups in this format.

Please visit the Center for International Services website for registration: HERE

Drew Clippard, International Student SEVIS Advisor

Center for International Services