About Thesis Funding
Honors supports a select number of Thesis projects with Crown Awards and Wise-Marcus 50-Year Friendship Awards. Each year we fund approximately 25 projects with up to $5,000 per project.
Additionally, a distinguished Honors alum, Dr. Lynne Parker, has sponsored the Parker Award for Women in Science, which funds a female student's Thesis project in a science field each year.
Funding can make additional research opportunities, materials, or travel available to you, helping you produce an even more impressive final project. Additionally, it's a valuable professional experience: learning to create a budget and argue on behalf of your project prepares you for future grant writing and application processes.
What we fund
- reimbursement for research materials, supplies and expenses
- research travel
- other necessary and reasonable expenses
- in unusual cases, students may be awarded summer living expenses to work on the project.
- In some cases we’ll reimburse you for expenditures that you’ve already incurred.
- Eligible students include Honors juniors and seniors currently working on Thesis Projects. Occasionally, sophomores who are planning Thesis projects will also be considered.
- You must be in good standing in Honors
- Your project must have been approved by your faculty Thesis Advisor.
To apply for Honors Crown funding, please use the SOURCE application. Your application will be processed by the SOURCE and then moved to the Honors office for final evaluation and decision making.
More information about deadlines and funding options here: SOURCE: Syracuse Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Engagement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Instructions for Applying
New for Fall 2019, we will be accepting applications for Honors Thesis funding through the SOURCE office's Infoready application. The SOURCE will process your application and send it to Honors for final evaluation and decision making.
First, read over the instructions below for putting your application together, then head over to the Infoready Application to apply. For technical issues with the application, please contact the SOURCE office directly.
238 Bird Library
For advice regarding the content of your application or formatting your materials, contact an Honors advisor.
Past Funding Application Examples
We've uploaded a few examples of successfully funded applications for you to use as a reference in preparing your Crown applications
Past Thesis Funding Winners
Below are Honors thesis projects by students who have won funding through Honors, or via a Source grant